3 Ways to Reduce The Overwhelm of Essential Oils

I started learning a little about essential oils a few years ago when I had an expert on essential oils in a group I did leadership training with. Like everyone else in the Ohio Valley, I have allergy and sinus issues and she was telling me to use certain oils to help alleviate the inflammation and reduce the sensitivity. Well, she knew SO much, I couldn't keep up. 

But I did take away that citrus used in aromatherapy was conducive to alertness, so when I was shopping I found the essential oils and got myself a bottle of Bergamot.  And sniffed it all the way home.  Yep, I had some flashbacks to elementary school and scented markers, but it worked. And that was all I knew to do with it at that point. It was a lot more portable to take that little bottle to sniff than burning a candle everywhere I went. 

A couple years later I was working in my clients' salon and saw a line of essential oils that focused on the chakras - pre-mixed as a body mist.  I was intrigued, but had no clue.  Not knowing enough or where to even start is overwhelming.  So I picked one to at least use to "be more expressive." And now it sits on the sink counter with the other stuff I rarely use.

Fast forward to now.  I've been using the Young Living brand of essential oils since September.  What helped tremendously was to have someone sit down with me to go over some basics:  how to use them, what kind of oils to use for what needs, and how to even make money from it when I want.

So, some key things I've learned to reduce the overwhelm:

#1 - Pick the oil that focuses on your need first. 

You have SOMETHING bothering you - and there is probably an essential oil (or blend) that can support you in your efforts to work it out.  Start with that one.  

#2 - Follow Directions

Young Living has a great FAQ section on Safety that covers a lot of questions.  Ultimately, follow the directions either from the booklet, site, or even on the bottle (might need a magnifying glass).  Some oils are for aromatherapy only, some can also be used topically (on the skin direct, or with a carrier oil - like coconut), and a select group of oils can even be ingested! But pay attention, because I have already heard horror stories in my research about people not paying attention and getting rashes from using bad oils in wrong ways. 

#3 - Notice it and Enjoy it!

When you focus on one area at a time, it's easier to notice the effects the oil can have for your specific need.  I know because I started with a focus of my sleep, then added on breathing, and into the chakras (more on this later).  With each area of focus I gave it a few days to really assess what worked and what didn't. Then I celebrate every time I sleep GOOD!  And go another day WITHOUT inhaler.  

I don't think I'll ever learn everything there is to know about essential oils, but I certainly love what I've learned and applied so far!

Comments